You can deduct expenses for buying and using a power saw (including a chain saw or tree trimmer) if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You work in forestry operations
  • You use the power saw to earn your employment income.
  • You had to pay for them under your contract of employment and your employer will not be reimbursing you.

You can deduct the cost of a power saw in the year you buy it. However, you have to subtract from the purchase price of the new power saw the value of any trade-in or any amount you received from the sale of any power saw during the year.

When you file your return, attach a statement that breaks down the cost of running the power saw. Also, keep with your records a copy of Form T2200, Declaration of Conditions of Employment that has been completed and signed by your employer.

Expenses to operate a power saw include any GST and provincial sales tax, or HST, you paid. You may be able to get a rebate of the GST/HST you paid.

You cannot deduct expenses for traveling from your home to a place where you are required to report to work on a regular basis. These expenses are personal. For example, you cannot deduct expenses for traveling from your home to a forest camp or to a cutting site if you go to that place on a regular basis. However, the motor vehicle expenses for traveling from a forest camp set up by your employer to the cutting site are incurred in the course of employment. These expenses are therefore deductible if you meet the conditions described under Allowable motor vehicle expenses.

You cannot deduct the cost of horses and harnesses, snowmobiles, or all-terrain vehicles because these are capital expenditures. Also, you cannot deduct capital cost allowance or interest you paid on money borrowed to buy them.